National Youth Leadership Training
NYLT integrates the best of modern leadership theory with the traditional strengths of the Scouting experience. Through activities, presentations, challenges, discussions, and audio-visual support, NYLT participants will be engaged in a unified approach to leadership that will give them the skill and confidence to lead well. Through a wide range of activities, games, and adventures, participants will work and play together as they put into action the best Scouting has to offer.
The NYLT course centers around the concepts of what a leader must BE, what they must KNOW, and what they must DO. The key elements are then taught with a clear focus on HOW TO. The skills come alive during the week as the patrol goes on a Quest for the Meaning of Leadership.
NYLT is a six-day course. Content is delivered in a troop and patrol outdoor setting with an emphasis on immediate application of learning in a fun environment. Interconnecting concepts and work processes are introduced early, built upon, and aided by the use of memory aids, which allows participants to understand and employ the leadership skills much faster.
2024 Spring Course Details
Limited to 48 participants.
Spring Course Registration Coming Soon!
Don’t miss out! Be sure to register early to secure your seat.
Participants are required to attend both weekends:
- March 8-10 AND March 22-24*, 2024
- *Please note March 24th is Palm Sunday: if this is a conflict for your Scout, the next course is planned for Fall 2024.
In the event that the registration reaches capacity and turns off, please sign up for the waitlist. Waitlisted participants will be contacted in the order they signed-up if seats become available. Please do not sign up for the waitlist if registration is still open.
In order to attend an NYLT course, a youth must have the following qualifications by the beginning of the course:
- Must be a registered member of a Scouting unit.
- Must have a current BSA Health and Medical Record form parts A, B, and C.
- Scouts BSA members must be at least 13. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops and earned First Class rank before attending NYLT.
- Venturers and Sea Scouts (male and female) must be at least 14, or 13 and have completed eighth grade, and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews or Ships. It is recommended that they have had at least one year of camping experience. While NYLT is not an outdoor skills course, it is important that each participant have basic camping and outdoor cooking experience.
- Have a unit leader recommendation.