October 15, 2021
TO: Key Unit Leadership
FROM: Michael Cunniff Council Commissioner
RE: Rechartering timeliness
I hope this note finds you well and safe during these challenging times.
This fall, more than 210 Packs, Troops, Team, Crews, Ship, and Posts will conduct rechartering to ensure that all our youth and leaders are registered. We need you to make sure you complete your unit’s rechartering process with payment by December 8, 2021.
Units that have not completed the rechartering process and submitted the paperwork with payment by year end MUST CEASE ALL OPERATIONS until everything is completed and submitted. A letter will be sent to the unit leadership indicating the need to cease all operations.
The majority of our units make sure that 100% of their members are accounted for. However, each year we become aware of participating members who are not registered, which raises some serious concerns. Unregistered youth suffer because:
- They are shortchanged in program since they CANNOT participate in unit, district, or council events.
- They cannot earn advancement.
- They do not receive Scouting Life magazine.
- Most importantly, they are not insured!
The Boy Scouts of America provides a tremendous Accident and Liability Insurance coverage for its members and the organizations that sponsor them. However, it is not effective unless the participant is registered. With the rising cost of health care and large co-pays for individual insurance, it is foolish to run the risk of not registering a participant, even if they only attend occasionally.
With all of this in mind, we ask all our Units to do the following:
- Forward all youth applications to the Council Office immediately. If your schedule does not allow, please give us a call and we will come to you. We would like this to be completed by month’s end.
- Double check with all Den Leaders to make sure that you have not overlooked any youth members.
In today’s word, we are all very busy. Please act today. Thank you in advance for taking the time to make sure all of our Scouts and leaders are protected.