TOH Pushcart Derby
October 10 @ 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Saturday October 10th, 2020 (rain date Oct. 17, 2020) Race Day
10:00 am – car inspection
11:00 am – races begin
Where: Lake Towhee Park
(Old Bethleham Road, Applebachsville PA 18951) Registration
Cost – $30 ($35 after October 3rd) per team of 4 scouts
- Teams will be made up of 4 scouts (1 Tiger, 1 Wolf, 1 Bear, 1 Webelos or 1 AOL)
- Scouts can be on multiple race teams.
- Each team will race 4 times (or as time allows) scouts will rotate drivers
- All registered team members must be present in order to race
- All scouts must wear a helmet (bicycle helmet accepted) in the racing area
- Closed toe shoes required
- Long pants long sleeve shirt gloves knee & elbow pads are suggested
- All races will be timed the best overall time shall determine the winners
- Timing is complete when all rear wheel’s cross finish line
Race Day Rules
- Each car will be checked for length, width, front end and steering compliance specifications as outlined above.
- Cars shall remain in the pit unless instructed to move to the race line by a race official.
- The four Cub Scouts who start a heat must finish it – no substitutions are allowed during a single race.
- All four Cub Scouts must be pusher AND rider with the riders becoming the pushers on each segment of the return trip after the car is turned at the end of the course.
- Teams should designate an adult to assist with the one adult is allowed at the start line. The adult at the starting line is solely responsible for telling the judge that the team is ready. The team will be disqualified if an adult touches the car or Cub Scouts during the race.
- There will be no spectators at the start/finish line or alongside of the lane. This is for the safety of the team and the spectator. Adults may not run in the lanes, sidelines, or touch the cars.
- Both axles of the car must completely cross the end line.
- Cars should not cross over the sidelines. Minor crossovers on the sidelines will not be subject to disqualification. However, judges will use their discretion to determine the disqualification of teams who are steering out of control or in an unsafe manner.
- If a team misses its race, the race will not be rerun.
- Any disputes about what lane a car is to run in will be resolved with a coin toss.
Construction (click here for plans)
- The push cart is to be made by Cub Scouts, parents, and leaders.
- Pushcart body & chassis shall be constructed of wood except for wheels hardware
- The push bar must be made of wood & be in a fixed position (cannot swivel)
- Wheels must be solid rubber same diameter & width as per plan
- Nails will not be permitted for axles
- Pushcart must have 4 wheels & stand independently
- No engines or gears allowed for motion – pushcart must rely on Scout power alone
- Scouting spirit in decorating your car is encouraged
Please register by October 3rd. 2020