In 1927, William F. Livermore, a special Deputy Regional Scout Executive of the Boy Scouts of America, gathered a group of Bucks County community leaders together at the Elks Home in Bristol to organize Bucks County Council. Thomas B. Stockham was elected President and Livermore was scout Executive.
The Council was incorporated under the law of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in the Courts of Bucks County on August 13, 1928 and the official name was Bucks County Council, Boy Scouts of America. Henry Palmer headed a committee to find a camp site. They decided on a site along the Raritan River, first renting and finally buying the site. The “Good Times Hall” was donated by Mr. Palmer, and the Doylestown Kiwanis Club donated a craft lodge. “BUCCOU” was picked as the name for the camp since the site was located out of the county. Although it was a very beautiful site, it was never popular with Bucks County Scouts.
Camp Ockanickon was purchased in 1940 and Buccou was sold. Camp Ockanickon has grown and is enjoyed by thousands of boys and young adults each year. It is open for weekend use by Cub Packs for picnics and Webelos Overnighters, Scout Troops and Explorer co-ed events.
World War II years saw members of the Council deeply involved in community and national events including War Bond Sales and Victory Gardens.
In 1952 the United States Federation came into being, with many Scouters aiding in its organization. This organization is now known as the Bucks County United Way, and the Bucks County Council, Boy Scouts of America, is a participating agency.
During the period from 1965 to 1968, a service Center in Doylestown was completed and is in use today.
A new swimming pool was completed at Ockanickon for the 1969 season and Sky Lake camping property was acquired. Two major improvements were made at Ockanickon during 1970-71 the addition of the Order of the Arrow Memorial Lodge and a new maintenance building.
From 1972 through 1979 improvements continued at Camp Ockanickon with the addition of a new lake, picnic areas, and a leadership development area including a new Leadership Development Building. Washington Crossing Historic Trail and the Delaware Canal programs were introduced. The first council-sponsored Wood Badge course was held at Sky Lake in August 1975.
In 1975, following extensive study, it was decided to sell Sky Lake, with the proceeds to be used for improvements at Ockanickon. Lake site campsites were developed and opened at Ockanickon for the 1975 season.
In 1987 a new shower facility was built to facilitate the higher volume of people. And in 1992 the swimming pool, after twenty-three years of use, was rebuilt.
in 2014 Bucks County Council participated in a transfer of territory from Central New Jersey Council to include the Hunterdon and Greater Mercer Counties in New Jersey. This procurement led to an exponential growth of our Council territory to include over 9,200 youth members and more than 240 Cub Scout Packs, Boy Scout Troops, Venturing Crews and Explorer Posts.
In 2015 through the collaboration of dozens of volunteers Bucks County Council officially was renamed Washington Crossing Council.